Is Home Exchanging Right for Your Family?
I will be the first to tell you that home exchange is not for everyone! Home exchange would be a great way to see the world for you if:
1) You have a large family with a small travel budget.
2) You consider yourself an adventurous person.
3) You live somewhere other people might want to visit. Don’t discount college towns and remote places! With the right pictures these places get tons of swap requests.
4) You don’t mind cleaning up before a trip and doing some laundry after a trip.
5) You’re a regular Airbnb user. Lots of the rules and protocols are similar.
Home exchanging is probably NOT for you if:
1) You have tons of priceless items in your home.
2) You only like luxury travel. You are staying in people’s homes and sometimes you will get lucky with a really nice home, but sometimes you won’t!
3) You are a type A inflexible sort of person. Exchanging requires a certain amount of flexibility and willingness to figure things out and go with the flow.
We love home exchanging, but we have exchanged with people who it has NOT been a good fit for, so it’s always something to think about before jumping in. If you have more questions about it, I will be happy to answer them in the comments below.